1. Once someone has died, curtains must be drawn and the clocks stopped at the time of death, this prevents bad luck.
2. The body of the deceased must be carried out of the house feet first, this will stop the spirit looking back into the house and willing another family member to join them in the afterlife.
3. Mirrors must be covered with veils; this prevents the deceased’s spirit from getting trapped behind the glass.
4. Meeting a funeral procession head on is bad luck. You must turn around if you see one approaching, if this is not possible clasp a button until the procession passes.
5. Seeing an owl during the day, finding a single snowdrop flower in your garden or witnessing a sparrow land on a piano all foretell imminent death.