- Although he’s now hailed as perhaps the greatest US President ever, Lincoln actually lost his first bid for a presidential ticket. In 1856 he placed second for vice-presidential candidate at the Republican National Convention.
- Lincoln was a big animal lover. He had a dog called Fido and a cat named Tabby, which reportedly ate at the White House dinner table. He even had two goats called Nanny and Nanko.
- Despite growing up in a very religious family, Lincoln never joined any church. He knew the bible inside out and frequently referred to God, but he was far less overt with his beliefs than modern-day presidents, and some of his close companions did not believe he was a Christian.
- After the death of two of their children, Lincoln and his wife, Mary Todd, reportedly held several séances in the White House in an effort to contact them.
- He was the first president with a beard. What is more surprising, however, is the reason for growing it. Grace Bedell, aged 11, sent Lincoln a letter telling him he’d look better with a beard. He obviously agreed and later arranged a meeting between Bedell and himself.
The last beardless photo of Lincoln
For more intriguing history facts, pick up a copy of All About History today.