The dictator’s quest to breed a human-ape hybrid
Was the infamous British monarch really as fat as is believed?
Discover the most popular books of all time
The real story behind the myth of the cursed play
- 1992 – An earthquake in Nicaragua kills at least 116 people.
- 1870 – Franco-Prussian War: Battle of Sedan – Prussian forces take Napoleon III of France and 100,000 of his soldiers prisoner.
- 421 – Galla Placidia, wife of the Emperor Constantius III, becomes a widow for the second time when he dies suddenly of an illness.
- 1939 – World War II: following the start of the invasion of Poland the previous day, the Free City of Danzig (now Gdańsk, Poland) is annexed by Nazi Germany.
- 1859 – A solar super storm affects electrical telegraph service.
Discover three key positions of this ancient civilisation.
Love Knowledge / Science? Try...
Discover the story of the revolution that changed Russia forever.
Win 1 of 5 family admission passes to a host of national trust attractions
Take a sneak peek of what our latest issue has in store
Join the people already enjoying offers and exclusive content from All About History. Guaranteed no Spam.
The British monarch celebrates two birthdays a year, ever wondered why?
Discover five facts about the men who have held the top job
Discover how this flightless bird became extinct in less than one hundred years
Just how many people died in this brutal and bloody rebellion?
Discover five curious facts about the famous playwright
Is there any truth to this popular tale?
This new bookazine is the essential guide to War
Discover five of the weirdest (and unhealthiest) dieting fads in history
Lions live in co-operative social groups, working together to hunt, fight and raise their young
Win a fantastic prize with the brand new Great Driving Roads app
Discover the unusual habits of three more British eccentrics
Discover the dramatic tale of the Celtic warrior queen
Take this quiz to discover what time period you should have been born in
Discover five remarkable facts about the great war
Discover how the secret hidden for centuries was finally revealed
Discover the tricks and tactics dolphins use to catch fish
Which political party can claim to be the oldest?
Discover a new exciting magazine from Imagine Publishing
Sir Nils Olav has been an honorary member since 1972
Five facts about historical figures which the history books omit
Discover the sweltering day that made records
Discover 5 interesting tidbits of Trivia about the Commonwealth games
Grab a sneak preview of our latest issue
Discover the unlikely origins of these 5 national treasures
Find out five strange Victorian superstitions about death