Discover the sweltering day that made records
Discover 5 interesting tidbits of Trivia about the Commonwealth games
Grab a sneak preview of our latest issue
Discover the unlikely origins of these 5 national treasures
- 1148 – The Siege of Damascus ends in a decisive crusader defeat and leads to the disintegration of the Second Crusade.
- 1959 – First United States Congress elections in Hawaii as a state of the Union.
- 1014 – Byzantine–Bulgarian wars: Battle of Kleidion – Byzantine emperor Basil II inflicts a decisive defeat on the Bulgarian army, and his subsequent treatment of 15,000 prisoners reportedly causes Tsar Samuil of Bulgaria to die of a heart attack less than three months later, on October 6.
- 1945 – The BBC Light Programme radio station is launched for mainstream light entertainment and music.
- 1899 – The First Hague Convention is signed.
Find out five strange Victorian superstitions about death
Love Knowledge / Science? Try...
Did Christopher Columbus really discover the new world?
Learn about one of the deadliest natural disasters in human history
Believe it or not, these fierce carnivores can survive for ages without a meal
We look at the unfortunate histories of two of the contenders
Join the people already enjoying offers and exclusive content from All About History. Guaranteed no Spam.
Discover 5 unusual facts about the mighty Roman empire
Take this quiz to test your knowledge of British history
Discover 5 unusual facts about the revolution that changed the world
Five little known facts about the biggest tournament in football
Discover everything you need to know about the second World War
How much truth is there to this classic tale?
Take a look inside the social structure of a band of gorillas
Discover the surprising ancestors of five famous faces
Guided by the Sun and the Earth’s magnetic field, these amazing insects migrate each year to avoid the cold winter
Discover five unusual facts – from the origin of the twin popsicle to the emperor who loved dumplings
Discover three eccentric figures who add a little colour to history
Just how dangerous is the top job?
Discover the marvels of the ancient world
Discover how the tallest animal on Earth manages to support itself on such spindly legs
We won’t ‘beat about the bush’ the origins of these common phrases are surprising
The ancient game that could save your soul
Who can claim to be the wealthiest person in history?
How did the terror of the seas meet his grisly end?
Find out what’s in store in our latest issue
Discover what some of the greatest minds in history have said about it
It’s not just us humans that enjoy a kickabout
Discover the the wildest celebration in history
Discover little known facts about the longest reigning British monarch
This amazing offer ends midnight on Monday!
Discover five absurd laws that still exist today
The surprising tale of cannibalism in Europe